We have an abundance of Bougainvillea in our house. I almost had them all removed because of all the work needed to maintain it (the plant sheds like crazy EVERY DAY!). Luckily, while I was trying to recover from Covid19 (yup, I think it’s been my third or fourth round since the pandemic…), I stumbled upon this recipe and decided to give it a try.
This Bougainvillea tea is a traditional Mexican home remedy to alleviate sore throat, cough, flu, fever, and even diarrhea. Since what I’m having from my Covid infection right now is basically this thick mucus around my throat that doesn’t seem to go away, I decided to give this tea a go. Anyway, so here are what’s needed:
- 1 cup Bougainvillea leaves (pick the ones that has turned color, and pick the brightest!)
- 2 cups water
- 1 to 2 pieces cinnamon bark
- OPTIONAL: honey
Get your tea kettle ready and let’s go!
- Get a pot and add 2 cups of water for every cup of Bougainvillea leaves. Only pick the leaves that has turned bright red/pink/purple/yellow/white and its small flowers for this tea.
- Add one to two pieces of cinnamon bark to amp up your tea’s antimicrobial properties to support healing.
- Bring the tea to a boil
- Once it’s boiling, turn the heat to medium and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool and serve
You can also pour this over ice if you prefer cooler drinks. Enjoy!